Founded in 2015 with the help from Y Combinator (a prestigious seed accelerator), Worldcover is a Peer-to-Peer investments platform providing insurance to farmers in developing regions around the world.
- The platform connects smallholder farmers and investors. Farmers purchase insurance for their crops in the case of a natural disaster or a bad harvest, and investors receive diversified returns and an opportunity to generate positive social impact.
- Aiming to provide insurance for up to 200,000 farmers worldwide, WorldCover promotes financial inclusion making access to insurance easier for farmers.
- The company uses satellites to monitor rainfalls and other natural events, and triggers automatic payouts to customers to mitigate losses.
- Improved financial stability for the farmers: the platform improves the financial stability of farmers in developing regions of the world by giving them access to insurance products.
- Effectiveness: investors can quickly invest into a project through the platform and earn a profit while knowing that they are investing into a social project.
How To Use
- Investors can choose among different categories of farmers around the world looking for insurance for different risks, for example:
– Maize farmers in Ghana;
– Coffee farmers in Peru;
– Rice farmers in the Dominican Republic.
- Then, investors receive a portion of premiums paid by the farmer.
- If a drought or a natural disaster occurs, investors’ funds are used to pay the damage.
Below, form to complete for an investor:
What are the type of products?